9 упражнений. You should stop working so hard
- ID: 42992
- 4 страницы
A. Choose the correct item.
1. You should stop working so hard.
A) hardly B) strong C) hard D) strongly
2. It sounded like a baby crying but it was
A) like B) as C) so D) if
3. If you want to see the director, you'll have to
make an appointment.
A) do B) make C) face D) construct
4. We were having so nice time at the party
that we stayed late.
A) so B) such C) such a D) very
5. Sally is much more clever than her brother.
A) much B) very C) so D) many
6. I go to the dentist more often than I used to.
A) much B) more C) most D) very
7. Where are the compasses?
A) is B) are C) was D) do
8. Margarine is less fattening than butter. -
A) less B) least C) few D) fewer
9. There's the man who stole my radio!
A) what B) which C) whom D) who
10. He invited his two sisters-in-law to the party.
A) sisters-in-law B) sister-in-laws
C) sisters'-in-law D) sister's-in-law
11. Do you know what he does for a living? -A) does B) makes C) is D) has
12. Mozart is regarded as the greatest
composer of his time.
A) such B) as C) like D) so
13. She was the most fascinating person he had ever spoken to.
A) less B) more C) much D) most
14. He didn't told me he was looking for a job.
A) say B) told
C) said D) tell
15. She said she would phone me the next day.
A) says B) said C) tells D) told
16. Billiards is his favourite game.
A) are B) be C) were D) is
17. It is said that English make the best beer.
A) an B) -- C) the D) some
18. The criminal was sent to а prison for five years
A) -- В) а С) the D) an
19. I'd like a little milk in my tea, please.
A) few B) a few C) a little D) little
20 Which is your favourite singer; Kylie or
A) Whose B) Which C) Where D) What
B. Fill in the correct preposition or adverb.
21. We had to off our skiing trip until Tom's leg got better.
22. As I'd missed the last bus home, my friend put me in for the night.
23. While I was cleaning my room, I ran out some of my old school exercise books.
24. The letters C.I.D. stand for Criminal Investigation Department.
25. He borrowed money from the bank to set up his new business.
С Fill in the correct preposition.
26. My father wasn't satisfied with my school report.
27. She's trying to think out a name for her new dog.
28. I'm very suspicious of my neighbour. He's always acting strangely.
29. I met my uncle by chance in the supermarket.
30. It's a waste of money to spend more than £50 on a pair of shoes
D. Rephrase the following sentences using the words in bold type.
31. Although she's rich, she isn't very happy. IN SPITE OF
In spite of her richness, she isn’t very happy.
32. Terry works harder than June. DOESN'T
June doesn’t work as hard as Terry.
33. It wasn't necessary for him to pay me. NEEDN'T
He needn’t to pay me.
34. It was the first time he had seen a dolphin. BEFORE
He hadn’t seen a dolphin before.
35. Colin is the best chess player of all. OTHER"
There’s no other chess player as Colin.
E. Complete the sentences using an appropriate word or phrase.
36. Fred was so strong that he could lift a 100 kg weight.
37. If you had missed my birthday, I would have been very angry.
38. Tony was hit to head by a man with a baseball bat.
39. We put on heavy clothes because we can get cold on our journey.
40 Although he was only 2 years old, he could write his name.
F. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct form.
Simon wishes he were bigger. When he was at school he was laughed at by
the other boys because he was so small. If he had been stronger, he would have been able to fight them. Now he is 20 but he's still very small. He has been recently advised by a friend to join a gym, but he is afraid that if he goes there, everyone would tease him.
G. Turn the following sentences into the Causative form.
46. Ted has asked a carpenter to put in new windows.
Ted has asked a carpenter to have new windows put in.
47. Tommy's mother washes his clothes for him.
Tommy has his clothes washed my mother.
48. She may ask the hairdresser to perm her hair tomorrow.
She may ask the hairdresser to have her hair permed tomorrow.
49. The servant is cleaning Lord Sutcliffe's shoes at the moment.
Lord Sutcliffe’s shoes are being cleaned by the servant at the moment.
50. James asked the mechanic to repair his car.
James asked the mechanic to have his car repaired.
H. Rewrite the sentences putting the words in the correct order.
51. They arrived home early this evening.
52. Look at that beautiful Alsatian black police dog.
53. She bought a new expensive silk black dress.
54. The dog barked in the garden noisily all night.
55. I'd like a big medium-rare steak, please.
56. He is almost never late for work.
57. She is often the last student to finish the test.
58. Probably I won't see James until 1 tomorrow.
59. He always nearly runs all the way to school.
60. I think these are extremely difficult exercises.
I. Rewrite the following in Reported Speech using appropriate introductory verbs.
61. "I'm sorry for being so angry last night," he said.
He said that he was sorry for being so angry a night before.
62. "I didn't tell them your secret," he said to Tom.
He said to Tom that he hadn’t told them his secret.
63. "My husband is always forgetting our wedding anniversary," she said. "And he never remembers my birthday either."
She said that her husband was always forgetting their wedding anniversary and added that he never remembered her birthday either.
64. "Let's have a quiet night at home for a change," he said.
He offered to have a quiet night at home for a change.
65. "O.K. I'll help you with the housework as long as you do the washing-up," he said to her.
He said to her that he would help her with the housework as long as she did the washing-up.